Tuesday, August 2, 2011

CEP 811: Online Teaching Experiences


As I searched through the Michigan Merit Curriculum’s Online Experience Guideline, I was introduced to numerous resources that I would consider using in my first grade classroom. The technology that I found to qualify the best for my own students would be Interactive Discussions between Students. More specifically, Read around the Planet would greatly benefit my students across the curriculum. As an intern teacher of a third grade classroom, I was given the opportunity to set up a virtual meeting with a class in Texas through this program. Each class read the same story, and our class performed skits representing how to be a good friend. The class in Texas had written poems in groups that were shared. At the end of the virtual meeting, students were able to ask and answer questions in a discussion format about the other class’s school, state, etc. This was an amazing experience, and one that I would recommend to all teachers.
               
I am currently a first grade teacher and Read around the Planet would absolutely help me to teach the content found in our state standards. By creating a writing activity centered on a central book, state standards in the area of reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing are all able to be met. This tool could easily be adapted across the curriculum especially in the areas of Language Arts, Social Studies, Health, and Science. Although this tool was specifically designed for reading purposes, classes are matched based on availability, topic, and grade level. As long as two teachers are able to collaborate and agree on a subject, this feature can easily be adapted across the curriculum. Not including the reading aspect and supplemental activities (which will absolutely cover a great deal of content dependent upon topic and activities), the following Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations will be met through a virtual meeting. Students will:

S.CN.01.02 explore and use language to communicate with a variety of audiences and for different purposes including making requests, solving problems, looking for solutions, constructing relationships, and expressing courtesies.

S.CN.01.03 speak effectively maintaining appropriate posture, eye contact, and position using props such as photographs or illustrations in narrative and informational presentations.

S.CN.01.04 present in standard American English if it is their first language.

S.DS.01.03 respond to multiple text types by reflecting, making meaning, and making connections.

S.DS.01.04 plan and deliver presentations using an informational organizational pattern (e.g., descriptive, enumerative, or sequential) providing several facts and details to make their point while maintaining appropriate posture and eye contact using a prop.

L.CN.01.03 listen to or view knowledgeably while demonstrating appropriate social skills of audience behaviors (e.g., eye contact, attentive, supportive) in small and large group settings; listen to the comments of a peer and respond on topic adding a connected idea.

                  
There are many pedagogical strategies that I would use with my students when adopting this resource.  Students would be working with others in a small-group and whole-group format in order to prepare for the presentation. Cooperative learning will be evident, as students work together to fully prepare for the event.  The topic chosen will be student-centered while the reader focuses on self-to-text connections. Since my students are very young, I would make sure to correctly model the activity needed to prepare for the meeting.  For example, if the students were creating short skits we would spend time researching skits, how to write them, and what audiences may want to view from a skit. A great deal of discussion would be utilized in the virtual meeting, as all students would be expected to contribute.  Technology will be integrated as we research our topic, and I will also create interactive SMART board lessons to begin scaffolding student thinking. Between the preparation for Read around the Planet and the actual virtual meeting, I am confident that a wide-variety of pedagogical strategies will be utilized.
                  
There were a few technologies that could be a bit difficult for my students. Although it would not be impossible for my first grade students, it may be hard for my students to take advantage of the RSS feature. While I could absolutely envision my students bookmarking a page, I would argue that since they are limited in their technology skills, this technology might be too overwhelming for them. I also think that blogging might be a bit difficult for this age group. I have considered creating a classroom blog; however, my students have trouble typing sentences on the computer. While I may require the students to post one sentence to a blog, this would be the extent. In addition, the teacher would absolutely need to be available for technical difficulties. A Learning Management System would also be hard for a first grade student to navigate through effectively, and the Online Resource Validation technologies would most likely be confusing for beginners. As a teacher, it is crucial that I do not overwhelm my students, but rather, choose tools that are beneficial for them as learners. Although I could adapt the majority of these technologies so that my students could use them, it is my goal to find the best resources for them to promote technology skills and learning. 

 Read around the Planet: 3rd Grade

1 comment:

  1. Read Around the Planet is a wonderful idea. I am on the TWICE board so I am glad to hear you are taking advantage of the resources like RAP. You are right that at your age group there are more appropriate activities for these young ones. Videoconferencing and possibly chatting back and forth with ePals might be the extent of it since their typing skills are limited.

    ReplyDelete